Tuesday, December 5, 2006

another day, another tantrum....

I was having those "this is why I do it" mornings today.
Mum had the little guy over last night so this morning I was able to feed the little miss in peace and even have a shower and a coffee before my boy came home.


Since we didn't have to deal with any toddler issues last night, the house even got cleaned (well my husband did it, because I was off at the Kylie concert...) and so I didn't have to clean too much this morning.

We played outside in the garden because it is a beautiful day. A glorious, start-of-summer, Perth day. Not too hot, not windy, not humid. Just right.

My front yard is pretty nice, I think. I have a big jacaranda tree in flower and my day-lillies and agapanthus' are blooming too and I was just at peace. I could even feel that tightness in my face loosening up. Bliss.
Then it happened. The little boy from across the road came home and all hell broke loose.

My boy idolises the kid from over the road. Because the kid from over the road is FIVE and does BOY STUFF like digging in dirt piles and throwing rocks and climbing fences. And because he has a really, really cool Thomas the Tank train set.

We were just about to go in for lunch when it happened. My little guy saw the kid from over the road and so he wanted to go over too. I said no, because I knew I would never get him home and plus, he was really tired from the sleepover at Nan and Pop's.

The peaceful world in which I was living crumbled. I had a full-on, two-year-old tanty right there on my nice lawn. Real falling to the ground and screaming stuff. I picked him up and hoisted him inside and then grabbed the little one and brought her in too.

So he went mental and she got angry because she was quite happy outside in her swing. I now had two little red angry faces looking at me and crying and screaming. That feeling came back into my face - that tight, scrunchy feeling that makes me look a lot older than my 30 years at times.

So I decided that, stuff it, I was going to the loo and I would hide in there with whatever magazine I could find close by (there was a Practical Parenting hiding in the cabinet).

I didn't look, I should have looked - but I didn't. So to add to my happiness, plop, I sat down in a pile of toddler wee. Yukky, cold toddler-wee which was still on the seat from the last time he went (I thought toilet training him was a GOOD thing!).

So my nice clean bum now was covered in gross toddler-wee and my clean, first-day-wear trackies were wet.

The glow of the morning was definitely lost.

But now all is well - they are both ASLEEP AT THE SAME TIME! Coffee here I come!

No comments:

just a suburban housewife